Wednesday, April 20, 2011

iPretoPads

I don't (think I) know Andy Latham, but I think I'd like the guy.  Apparently he heard Patrick Copeland's QCon's talk on pretotyping and to prepare for something called Capital Libraries Hack Day, he decided to create some paper iPads  – presumably for pretotyping iPad apps.


Nice going Andy.  I hope the iPretoPads help you come up with some good candidates for the right 'it'.  We'd love to hear back from you after the Capital Libraries Hack Day.

Alberto

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alberto

    Thanks for the mention. Yes I decided to build some wooden iPads for pretotyping. We held an internal Hack Day the other week and I wanted to get everyone involved, not just coders and so having read about pretotyping I thought it would be a good and fun idea to build these and see if the non-coders in the business could start to do some initial thinking for moving our product to the iPad - and then of course have the physical pretotype to start to "use" the apps. Was just for fun and a way to get people involved and come up with some new ideas.

    All I did was saw up some wood to the dimensions of an iPad, print of some templates I found on the web and then attach them with clothes pegs - simple really :)

    Was it a success? Yes and No... everyone who turned up was a developer and so we spent the day tinkering with CouchDB and Cassandra and trying some funky software ideas out. Although all of the developers thought they were great idea they weren't used on the day due to the audience, but I'll certainly try the idea again and maybe use the idea in the future for some "real" product development.

    All the best,

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy, your iPretoPad is itself a pretotype; as such, it's entirely possible that it turns out not to be something that most people would use. No harm in that - you did not spend too much time on it.

    ReplyDelete